Thursday, October 29, 2009

October 29, 2009


Ai faz quanto tempo, de novo!  (It’s been so long, again!).  I just finished reading my best friend, Courtney’s blog who is in a state called Mato Grosso here in Brazil.  She wrote about the huge trip she went on with her future host family to the south, and put on tons of photos!  So I haven’t been on any huge vacations lately, but I’ve been keeping myself very busy here in João Pessoa! :)

 

Two weekends ago, right after my last post was a 3 day weekend.  Saturday I spent resting at home and then at night I went out with some of my friends from school, we went to a party and I arrived home at about 3 in the morning (very early here in Brazil haha).  Sunday I woke up bright and early and went with my host mom and Luana (past exchange student to Michigan that I mentioned before) to a city in southern João Pessoa where all the prettiest beaches are.  The city was full of only beach/summer houses, and hotels.  Here it’s very common to have a house or apartment and then another beach house close by!  We went to Marisa’s friend’s summer house which was crazy!  It had 4 floors, a pool that looked like it belonged at a resort, a garden with every kind of Brazilian fruit (açaí, cajú, açeirola, and others that I’m not even going to try to spell haha), and an amazing view of the beach!  We spent the day at the pool, and then later we walked down to the famous beach in João Pessoa, Carapibus.  A lot of the people that have been living here their whole lives don’t find the beaches that great, but to me, every time I go I still can’t believe I got so lucky to be living here right on the beach, it’s all so new to me, and every time soooo pretty!


Carapibus Beach

My host mom :)

Luana and I at Carapibus Beach


Luana and I at the pool

 Açaí tree at Marisa's friend's house 

I took a quick nap, got ready, then went out to another huge show at the same beach where all the shows are, Praia do Jacaré.  A really famous rock band was here that night, so it seemed like all of João Pessoa was there too!  I went with my host brother and his girlfriend, and then met up with my friends from school and the other exchange students.  It was sooo much fun!  We danced the whole night and sang along, or attempted to sing along!

Monday was Dia Das Crianças (Kid’s Day).  My host mom, brother Lucas, and family friends went out to a restaurant for lunch.  Because of O Dia das Crianças, there was a clown at the restaurant just for the day that came around to all the tables and gave candy and toys to the kids that were there.  Afterwards we came home and rested after the long and busy weekend!

 Kid's Day!

The next few days weren’t too exciting, school, beach, and studying more Portuguese.  The next weekend there was a Rotary meeting on Saturday with the president of Norbrex (the multi-district in the Northeast) there, asking us how we’re doing and how we’re liking it.  He told us that it looks like we’re all super happy and enjoying it here, and he told me that my Portuguese is the best, which always is a great compliment :D.

 

The following week was once again, not too exciting.  School, beach, once again, and shopping for an outfit to wear to the  big party I went to on Saturday that I’ll talk about in a little bit!

Friday night there was a Rotary meeting to choose the second host families of all the students.  My next host family is my future host mom Chiquinha, her husband, and their son, who is 16 and going to Poland through Rotary next year.  They’re all very nice, and have 2 huge apartments.  One here in the main city, and another summer house where I’ll be for the majority of the time in a smaller city called Cabedelo that’s right on the beach where everyone goes in the summer.  I only have one month left in this house now, and I hate thinking about switching because I love the family I’m with now :(.

Saturday Marisa and I woke up early and went to her friend’s son’s first communion service.  Afterwards we went to their house and had a party with amazing food and the best brigadeiro cake I have ever had!  Marisa and I left the party before everyone else to go get our hair and nails done for the Festa de Quinze Anos (Fifteenth Birthday Party) I went to Saturday Night! Here in Brazil, when you turn 15 you either have a huge party or travel (usually to Southern Brazil for a few weeks or Disney World). Words cannot describe how much fun the party was and how nice the place was!  I felt like I was in the show My Super Sweet Sixteen on MTV.  It’s estimated that the party was over 50,000 reais, over $30,000 dollars.  There was a famous band from the Northeast there, caterers, huge dessert tables, a cake the same height as me, havaianas for all the guests for dancing,  fresh flowers everywhere, camera men, photographers, and when everyone left they got a goodie bag with a bunch of chocolate and a magazine of model pictures of the girl and interviews.  It was soooo crazy.  Words and pictures can’t even begin to describe it!  The whole night all my friends and I were eating, dancing, and taking tons of pictures.


Festa de Quinze Anos!





Kelsie & I


My friend Camila & I


The cake was taller than Kelsie! hahha



This week has been pretty normal, school in the morning, then usually something in the afternoon or night.  My friend from school is letting me borrow her book, Marley & Eu (Marley & Me) and i’ve already read 10 pages and have 8 notebook pages front and back of words I don’t know that I have translated into English.  Hopefully my Portuguese will get a lot better with that, but still, I can see that it’s improving so much.

 

Até mais!  Tchau beijo.

 

P.S. Recently I found out that they don’t celebrate Halloween here in Brazil, so everyone back home, please eat twice as much candy for me on Saturday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment