Thursday, August 13, 2009

August 13, 2009

Now that my foot is almost all healed, I have been a lot busier than before.  
Two nights ago, Pedro and I made chocolate chip cookies from the mix that I brought.  It called for 1/2 cup of butter and an egg, so I asked them what they use to measure things here in Brazil so we could convert it online.  They brought me into the kitchen and after looking through all the drawers, they realized that they didn't have any cups or things to measure food with!  I asked them what they do when they cook and they said, "Oh we don't cook, the maid does, and I think she just throws in whatever she thinks would be good!"  All the food here is really good, but I thought that was really funny that they didn't have anything to measure with.  After guessing how much we thought was 1/2 cup of butter, we mixed everything together and put it on a pan to cook.  It turns out that it was Pedro's first time cooking in his whole life, because they always just have the maid do everything!  The cookies turned out really good, and the Brazilians loved them.  
Yesterday Kelsie (through Rotary from New York) and Julia (through Rotary from Finland) came over to my apartment and we went from there to the beach.  We all have light hair and blue & green eyes, so everywhere we went, people stared at us because here in Brazil everyone has dark brown or black hair and brown eyes.  
When we came back from the beach we had some ice cream and juice and tried watching Spongebob in Portuguese.  When my host mom came home from work, she took Kelsie and Julia to Julia's apartment and then took me back home to get ready for a Rotary meeting that night.  She had just bought fresh pão de queijo (cheese bread that Brazil is well known for) and so we ate a bunch of that and then got ready for the meeting.
The Rotarians here in João Pessoa asked me to speak a little about myself, so before we went to the meeting, my mom helped me write a speech in Portuguese to give so I wouldn't sound completely dumb!  We got home from the meeting and Pedro and I watched Saw, which here in Brazil is called Jogos Mortais (Death Games).
This morning I woke up bright and early at 5:30 to get ready for my first day of Brazilian high school!!  I'm going to a private school called GEO.  Here in Brazil, most students go to private schools because the public schools are terrible.  A lot of the time the teachers don't show up and the kids don't learn anything in the public schools.  Pedro's cousin, Lara, came and picked me up to take me to school.
When we got there, we walked inside and it felt like everyone was staring at me because of my hair and eyes.  Lara and I went up to her class room and sat down and everyone came over and started talking to me in Portuguese! 
The schools here are different than in the U.S., because here, instead of the students switching classes, the teachers switch instead.  So I stayed in the same class of about 50 people for the whole day.  Everyone was so funny and nice, and the whole day everyone was telling jokes.
My brothers Pedro & Lucas came and picked me up from school when it was done, and we went home and ate lunch.  My mom took me to Luana's house later and from there Luana, her mom, Kricia (from a city in the Amazon going to Canada in a week through Rotary), her mom, and I went to the mall to watch a movie.  Movies here are really cheap.  I only paid 5.00 reais ($2.50) for my ticket!
I have to go to bed soon because I have another early morning of school tomorrow :).  
Tchau Beijos!

No comments:

Post a Comment